What is Black Friday?
Black Friday has become the biggest shopping day of the year, when retailers knock prices across much of their stock to kick-start the gift-buying season. Here’s what time all the different shops are opening
Black Friday first arrived in the UK five years ago when Amazon thought it would try its luck bringing the shopping sensation to a new market. In 2013, Asda, which is owned by American retail giant Walmart, participated in UK’s version of Black Friday, and last year most major UK retailers including John Lewis, Marks & Spencer, Argos and even British Airways jumped on board.
This year, internet sales over the 24-hour period are expected to surpass £1bn for the first time in UK history. Ebay said it anticipates 9m Brits will visit its website on Black Friday, buying 25 items every second.
Where can the best deals be found?
Plenty of retailers have launched their deals already. Here are the best deals from Amazon, AO.com, Appliances Direct, Argos, Asda, Boots, Carphone Warehouse, Currys PC World, Dyson, eBay, Halfords, House of Fraser, Illy, John Lewis, LaptopsDirect.co.uk, Maplin, The Original Factory Shop, Park Resorts, The Perfume Shop, Poundland, Starbucks, Superdrug, Tesco, Three, Very.co.uk, Wickes and Yates (in case you need an affordable beer to get you through the day).
Following on the success of last year, when Amazon sold 5.5 million items, the internet retailer has launched a week of limited-time “lightning deals” with new promotions being unveiled every 10 minutes. For the first time ever, hundreds of UK-based Amazon Marketplace sellers will take part in Black Friday, too.
Some of the current offers include:
• Guitar Hero Live 2 Guitar Bundle (PS4 and Xbox One, exclusive to Amazon), was £124.99, now £74.99
• Ted Baker London Rockall High-Performance Over-Ear Headphones with Built-In Remote/Microphone, was £109.65, now £69.65
• Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, was £109.99, now £79.99
• Philips Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock with Sunrise Simulation, was £57.56, now £39.99
• Pommery Brut Royal Champagne Gift Box 150cl Magnum, was £90, now £49.99
After last Black Friday became AO.com’s strongest day in its 15-year history, the online electricals retailer has since increased warehouse space by 30,000 square feet and put 16pc more vans on the road to cope with expected demand this year.
AO.com will be knocking up to £500 off 4K televisions, with an average saving of £150 across all TV and sound devices, and cutting up to 70pc off the price of small appliances such as coffee machines, food processors, juicers and vacuums. Washing machines will be £100 cheaper and American fridge-freezers will sell at a 25pc discount. For example:
• Sage By Heston Blumenthal: The Nutri Juicer BJE410UK Juicer in Chrome, was £149, now £89
• Hotpoint Illy Espresso CMHPCGXOUK Pod Coffee Machine, was £99, now £50
• Miele Complete C2 Cat And Dog PowerLine Bagged C2CD Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner in Red, was £249, now £149
• Seiki SE24GD02UK 24″ TV in Black, was £109, now £99
AppliancesDirect.co.uk is knocking up to 40pc off all its product ranges including what it calls “the Black Friday must-have”, the 4k Ultra HD LED TV. Deals include:
• Cello 42 Inch 4K Ultra HD LED TV (was £499.97, now £299.97)
• ElectriQ VRTSL150 Juicer (was £99.97, now £39.97) – pictured
• Dyson AM05 Hot and Cool Fan in Fuschia (was £369.97, now £249.97)
• ElectriQ eIQ-RoboVac Robotic Vacuum Cleaner (was £99.97, now £39.97)
• Unikia 27-320 Stirio Automatic Stirrer (was £49.97, now £9.97)
Last year, Argos saw 660,000 visits to its website within one hour of launching its Black Friday deals. The retailer is kicking off its online deals at 1am on Friday and many of its stores at 6am. Offers include:
• Tassimo T20 coffee machine, was £99.99, now £29.99
• LG 49-inch Full HD LED TV, was £549, now £329
• Xbox One 500GB console and Ori and Rare Replay for £229.99
• iPad Mini 2 16GB, was £239, now £199
The retailer widely recognised for making Black Friday mainstream in the UK, which sold 8,000 television sets in the first hour of Black Friday last year, has turned it back on the event this year and will not be participating.
Asda will be knocking a total of £26m off its products over November and December, rather than slashing prices on big-ticket items for one day only. Chief executive Andy Clarke said, “Customers have told us loud and clear that they don’t want to be held hostage to a day or two of sales.”
Deals that will be available at Asda in the run up to Christmas include:
• £10 champagne (October 22 to December 24)
• 6 bottles of wine for £25 (November 24 to December 8)
• Smoked Salmon 30kg, £5.50 down from £9 (November 19 to December 27)
• LEGO City Vehicle 3 in 1, was £80 now £40
• Barbie Closet & convertible (dolls included) was £60 now £30
• Frozen Snow Glow Elsa/Anna 2 pack was £70 now £40
• Oral B 2500, was £75.00 now £29.97
Deals at the health and beauty retailer include:
• Michael Kors Woman Eau de Parfum (50ml), was £56.50, now £39.55
• Versace Eros Pour Femme Eau de Parfum (50ml), was £70, now £49
• Philosophy Renewed Hope in a Jar gel cream (60ml), was £35.50, now £17.75
• Remington Shine Therapy hair straightener, was £79.99, now £29.99
•Sanctuary gift set, including foaming bath soak, body scrub, body butter, body wash, three candles, a luxury bath pillow and a headband, was £45, now £22.50.
The airline is offering hundreds of deals on flights and holidays, including 25pc off flights to destinations including New York, Las Vegas and Rome.
Offers include return flights to San Jose in Costa Rica from £499, Rio de Janeiro from £557 and Venice or Salzburg from £30.
Return flights in Club World, British Airway’s version of business class, go to Washington from £1,390, Austin from £1,890 and New York from £1,399.
One day just isn’t enough, so Carphone Warehouse is running a 10-day “Black Tag” event from Monday 23 November. Deals include:
• Samsung Galaxy S6 (32 GB) available on Vodafone for free at £22 per month including 500 minutess, unlimited texts and 500 MB data (saving £200 on the upfront cost of the handset)
• Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge (32 GB) available on EE for £50 at £32.49 per month including unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and 5 GB data (saving £100 on the upfront cost of the handset)
• HTC A9 available on O2 for free at £23.50 per month including 500 minutes, unlimited texts and 500 MB data (saving £200 on the upfront cost of the handset)
• Huawei P8 Lite available for free at £9.50 per month including 300 minutes, 5,000 texts and 500 MB data (saving £200 over the life of the contract)
Currys PC World
Currys PC World has increased stock by 40pc compared to last year and promises to match cheaper prices at its major competitors, including John Lewis, Argos, Asda and AO.com.
The retailer is running a 10-day “Black Tag” event with more than 3,000 deals, including:
• Samsung 60JU6000 60 inch 4K TV for £899, saving £600
• Samsung 58J5200 58 inch Smart TV for £549, saving £150
• Jawbone UP2 Activity Tracker for £49, down from £89.99
• Pebble Smartwatch for £49, down from £99
Brits are expected to spend £12,384 every second online during Black Friday
The department store is selling all cookware and electricals at up to half price in an online only promotion from 3am to midnight on Black Friday. Debenhams deals include:
• Nespresso Citiz and Milk 11307 chrome coffee machine, £220 down to £150
• Nutribullet Superfood nutrition extractor, £99 down to £69
• Kenwood kMix Barcelona stand mixer KMX80, £450 down to £225
From midnight on Friday, a Dyson Handheld will be available for £99.99 (£70 off), a DC28 Cylinder for £199.99 (£130 off) and a DC41 multifloor for £199.99 (£120 off).
Dyson is also offering three Black Friday bundle deals:
• AM09 Hot and Cool + V6 Cordless for £449.99 (saving £250)
• AM09 Hot and Cool + V6 Absolute Cordless for £449.99 (saving £350)
• AM09 Hot and Cool + CSYS Task Light for £499.99 (saving £299)
The online auctionhouse will run Black Friday deals for eight consecutive days over Black Friday, unveiling new deals from its sellers every morning at 8am between Monday November 23 and Monday November 30. This is how people shopped on eBay last Black Friday.
Some of the upcoming day-specific deals include:
• Thursday 26 November: GoPro Hero 4 8MP Action Camera for £150 (23pc off), Fitbit Charge HR Wireless Activity Wristband for £76 (23pc off), Lenovo Flex 15.6 FHD Touchscreen Notebook Computer for £302 (34pc off), up to 65pc off Ray Ban sunglasses.
• Friday 27 November: Apple Macbook Air 128GB for £478 (19pc off), Apple iPad Air2 16GB for £236 (28pc off), Canon EOS 6D Digital SLR DSLR for £654 (41pc off), up to 40pc off Ugg boots.
• Monday 30 November: Samsung 55 inch 4K Ultra HD 3D smart TV for £786 (70pc off), Lenovo ThinkPad 11.6 Notebook computer for £138 (58pc off).
Ebay said it expects 9m UK visitors to its website on Black Friday itself, selling 25 items per second over the 24-hour period.
GAME is running daily deals from 8pm on Thursday until Monday 30 November. Offers include:
• Xbox One 1TB with Rise of the Tomb Raider and 2 Month NOW TV Pass for £299.99 (save over £105)
• PS4 500GB with FIFA 16, Little Big Planet 3 and 2 Month NOW TV Pass for £284.99 (save over £80)
• Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox and Xbox One from £29.99
The contract-free mobile network is slashing £100 off its best-selling Samsung and Sony smartphones, including the Samsung S6, Samsung S6 Edge, Samsung S6 Edge+ and Sony Z5 Compact.
The deal is available for six days starting from 8am on Thursday 26 November.
The bicycle specialist will be offering Black Fridays deals in stores as well as online for the first time this year, from Friday 27 to Monday 30 November, offering up to 50pc off children’s bikes.
Some of Halfords‘ top deals are the Air Runner self-balancing board, cut from £499 to £350, a Frozen bicycle for children aged four to six years old, £59 down from £100, and the VooDoo Shango BMX Bike Limited Edition, £299 down to £99.
House of Fraser
Black Friday is kicking off at House of Fraser at 5pm in store and online on Wednesday 25 November, with up to 50pc off selected lines across fashion, beauty and home departments until midnight on Sunday 29 November.
The department store is introducing “Black Friday windows”, an augmented reality app that allows users to scan the window vinyl and browse deals on their mobile phones.
Coffee lovers can snap up an espresso machine at half price, starting from £65, on Illy’s website.
The Francis X1 Espresso Machine, usually £399 and currently selling for £280, will be available at 50pc off.
Like last year – when the department store sold a NutriBullet every 30 seconds and a Samsung television set every minute – John Lewis has promised to honour its ‘Never Knowingly Undersold’ pledge and match competitors’ prices.
• Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, Quad-core Exynos, Android, 9.7″, Wi-Fi, 32GB, Gold, was £399.95, now £299.95
• Bosch WAQ284S0GB Slim Depth Freestanding Washing Machine, 8kg Load, A+++ Energy Rating, 1400rpm Spin, White, was £429, now £329
• Dyson DC44 Origin Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Silver/Blue, was £309.95, now £179.95
• Kenwood KMM710 Chef Major Premier Food Mixer, White, was £419.95, now £209.95
The electronics website is predicting that 2015 will be remembered as the year of the hoverboard after online searches for the two-wheeled transporters have surged 354pc so far this year.
The e-retailer expects its top-selling products to be:
• G-Board Smart Self Balancing Segway Scooter Board (was £499.98, now £239.98)
• iQ Gravity Speaker levitating with Bluetooth (was £79.98, now £49.98
• ProFlight Seeker Drone (was £55.00, now £34.96)
• Car Dash Cam With Full HD Night Vision (was £64.97, now £22.97)
• ElectriQ Bluetooth Smart Body Scale IQ Scale (was £29.98, now £19.98)
After running deals online during Black Friday last year, Maplin is cutting prices in its 217 stores as well. Deals include:
• Dyson DC39 Animal Cylinder Bagless Vacuum Cleaner (online only), was £379.99, now £229.99
• Garmin Vivosmart Small fitness activity tracker (online only), was £119.99, now £89.99
• Swann DVR8-3425 8-channel DVR CCTV Security Kit (Thurs to Mon only), was £349.99, now £249.99
The Original Factory Shop
The UK’s biggest discount department store is running deals from Wednesday 25 to Sunday 29 November both online and across its 211 stores. Deals include:
• Dyson DC39 Animal, was £379, now £199
• Milan Sofa Bed, was £399, now £99
• Majestic 100 Pocket Sprung Double Divan Bed, was £659, nwow £299
• JML Make and Bake, was £99.99, now £49.99
• Lavassa Coffee Maker, was £99.99, now £39.99
Planning a family holiday? Park Resorts, the UK’s largest owner of caravan parks, is running two deals.
• From 9am on Black Friday: 4-night breaks between February and June, starting from £59 per holiday home, or £89 on the Isle of Wight with ferry included
• From 9am on Cyber Monday: 3-night stays between February and May, starting from £69 per holiday home
The Perfume Shop
The UK’s largest specialist perfume retailer will knock up to 82pc of celebrity fragrances (yes, including One Direction’s) and 40pc off mega-sized gift sets.
Deals, which will be refreshed every day for the week of Black Friday, include:
• One Direction That Moment EDP 50ml, was £29.00, now £5
• Peter Andre Forever EDP 100ml, was £24.95, now £5
• Ghost EDT Spray 50ml and Mega Set, was £70.00, now £29.99
• Barbour EDT Spray 100ml and Barbour Scarf, was £45.00, now £34.99
There’s not much of a discount you can add to items that only cost £1, but Poundland has already knocked prices across many of its big ticket products. Available until Saturday 28 November, current deals include:
• Hairy Bikers Power Blender 1000w, RRP £89.99, now £35
• Russell Hobbs Pressure Cooker 4l, RRP £69.99, now £18
• Akai Capsule Bluetooth Speaker XL (red/white), RRP £59.99, now £20
• Akai Pro Series (over ear) Headphones (Black/White), RRP £49.99, now £8
• Signature Steam Mop 1200w, RRP £59.99, now £15
Need to stock up on toys ahead of Christmas? Smyths Toys Superstores has knocked 20pc of all Lego City products and is offering three-for-two deals on all Crayola stock.
Until Tuesday 1 December, the toy retailer is also promising huge reductions on selected NERF, Frozen and Fisher-Price products.
If you take advantage of the Illy offer above and need something to put in your espresso machine, Starbucks has a buy one get one free offer for customers who buy a £4.95 bag of Christmas Blend beans on Black Friday.
The coffee chain also has a one-day deal in place on November 27 that gives customers a free tall (Starbucks speak for “small”) drink of their choice when buying a gift card worth £20 or more.
The beauty retailer expects Black Friday to be three times bigger than last year and is kicking off more than 100 deals on Wednesday 25 November to run until the following Tuesday. Offers include:
• Elizabeth Arden Visible Difference Gift Set (75ml), was £60, now £20
• Real Techniques Ultimate Makeup Brush Gift Set, was £99.99, now £45.99
• Colgate C250 Electric Toothbrush, was£49.99, now £17.49
• Philips Sonicare Diamond Gift Set, was £250, now £100
• Dolce & Gabbana Pour Femme Eau de Parfum (25ml), was £47, now £30
We couldn’t let Black Friday go by without a little treat from Telegraph Towers.
Get a one year digital subscription for £50, saving you £100. This includes unlimited website access, mobile apps for iPhone & Android plus exclusive subscriber rewards. Offer ends Monday.
Until Sunday 29 November, the supermarket is offering customers 25pc off when they buy six or more bottles of wine.
Brands include Blossom Hill, Casillero del Diablo, Hardy’s – and, of course, Tesco Finest. If Châteauneuf Du Pâpe is the tipple of choice, shoppers can bag themselves six bottles of Tesco Finest for £58.50, saving £19.50.
Tesco will be closing all 250 Extra stores between midnight and 5am on Black Friday “to ensure colleagues have enough time to set up for the event this year”. The retailer has also hired extra security and put additional barriers in place after fights broke out, police were called and two stores were forced to close last year.
The mobile network provider is cutting prices from Black Friday until Monday 30 November in case you’re desperate to get your hands on a new phone or even a cheap selfie stick…
• Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, was £549.99, now £428.99
• Samsung Galaxy S6 32GB, was £469.99, now £344.99
• Sony Xperia Z5 32GB, was £529, now £370
• Moto Maker, was £159.99, now £99.99
• Selfie sticks for just £5.50
• LG 55-inch Freeview LED Smart 4K Ultra HD TV, £1,399 down to £749
• Nescafe Dolce Gusto Delonghi Jovia Pod machine, £89 down to £49
• iTek Ottoman Bluetooth Speaker, £149 down to £79
From 12.30am on Friday, the online watch retailer is promising discounts of at least 10pc on all watches and jewellery, with up to 65pc off certain products.
Watchshop.com is also knocking 20pc off the cheapest item when customers buy two or more things, with deals on Casio, Michael Kors, Marc Jacobs, Citizen, GUESS, Tissot, Raymond Weil and more.
Fancy a spot of home sprucing this weekend? Wickes is offering up to 50pc off power tools and radiators. Current deals include a Wickes Curved Chrome Towel Radiator (was £119.99, now £59.99), a Makita 18V drill (was £99.99, now £79.99) and a 2000W Hot Air Gun (was £19.99, now £9.99).
The pub chain is offering discounts on Black Friday, but only until 6pm – think of it as retail sustenance rather than a post-buying booze binge. Deals include £1.99 Carling, 99p Tuborg, 99p Schweppes sparkling and £2.99 fish and chips.
Yates is believed to be Britain’s oldest pub chain and has more than 70 locations around the UK.
If you’re looking to buy a new laptop, you might want to wait until Black Friday. Context, the IT supply chain analyst, said that 77,000 laptops were imported to UK distributors in the final week of October – some 30,000 more than the same period last year and the highest weekly figure on record.
“This is the highest ever spike we’ve seen in notebook shipments and indicates some great deals for savvy shoppers looking for an upgrade or a great Christmas present,” said Context’s Adam Simon.
… and more
Others retailers who offered deals last year and are expected to get involved again this Black Friday include: Apple, Asos, British Airways, Game, House of Fraser, Lakeland, Marks & Spencer and Sainsbury’s.