The nearly 800,000 young people affected by the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program don’t have to worry about deportation for the next six months, President Trump indicated in a tweet Thursday.
“For all of those (DACA) that are concerned about your status during the 6 month period, you have nothing to worry about – No action!” Trump tweeted Thursday morning.
Earlier in the week the White House announced a six-month winding down of the popular Obama-era program, which sheltered eligible young immigrants from deportation. He gave Congress six months to find a legislative fix.
Many of those who qualified came to the U.S. at a young age, and were able to get ID cards, go to college and seek work under DACA. They’re required to renew their status every two years.
The impacted immigrants, often referred to as “Dreamers,” won’t be able to renew their status under Trump’s scale down — opening them up to the threat of deportation.
Ten states threatened to challenge the program in court if the President didn’t end it by Sept. 5.
Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced its end on Tuesday, claiming in part that DACA recipients took jobs away from U.S. citizens.
Trump’s tweet Thursday is the latest development in a changing immigration issue.
In a tweet Wednesday the President said he plans to revisit DACA if Congress can’t fix it by March.
That same day he met with Congressional Leaders to discuss this fall’s legislative agenda.
Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said in a statement Wednesday they will continue pressing Trump on immigration after striking a deal to raise the debt ceiling for three months.