George H.W. Bush will leave ICU, Barbara discharged from hospital

Former President George H.W. Bush will be removed from an intensive care unit at a Houston hospital Monday, and his wife Barbara will be discharged, doctors announced.

Bush, who needed intensive care last week after respiratory problems, could be out of the hospital by the weekend, Houston Methodist Hospital Dr. Clinton Doerr said in a press conference.

His vital signs are stable, his breathing tube was removed Friday and he has been laughing and joking with staff, doctors said.

Dr. Amy Mynderse called Bush “not your average 92-year-old.”

Ex-President George H.W. Bush and wife Barbara still in hospital

The former First Lady, meanwhile, will leave the hospital Monday.

The family’s spokesman announced that the former President, 92, was admitted to the hospital Jan. 14 after he struggled to breathe.

Although he at first seemed to recover, Bush was taken into intensive care last Wednesday after experiencing an acute respiratory problem stemming from pneumonia.

The same day, Barbara, 91, was admitted for coughing and fatigue.

Ex-President Bush, wife Barbara improving but still hospitalized

Since then, the two have kept each other going.

“They really do have such an amazing love for each other, and this really came across here,” Mynderse said.

The couple missed President Trump’s inauguration in Washington, D.C. Friday, citing health concerns.

Bush sent a letter to Trump saying that sitting outside in January might put him “six feet under.” He was the only living former President to miss the ceremony.  

Tags:
george h.w. bush
donald trump inauguration
barbara bush

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet

Politics Rss

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons
error: Content is protected !!